- Keep track of your time and budget it wisely from the start. If you are taking the UBE and are NOT sure how to allocate your time I suggest locking down the “big 7” MBE topics and the MPT first. Why? The MBE is 50% of the score, your MPT’s are 20%, and since the big 7 are fair game for the MEE, assume conservatively (this can be argued, but since there have been recent test sessions with as many as 4 MBE focused or related essays, I will call this a conservative estimate) that 2 of your 6 essays are either entirely MBE topics or that they will be mixed in with hybrid essays, such that they account for a portion of your total score equal to two essays. That would mean that the Big 7 and MPT’s alone can add up to 80% of your total score.
- As Bar Prep begins, make sure you stay on top of practice essays and MBE question sets to identify what subjects or subtopics need attention (i.e. identify your weak points and study, practice, review, practice, study, practice, then repeat).
- DO NOT PANIC! Remember, this exam is only as much of a beast as you make it, and you have invested time in law school and internships/externships/clinics/law reviews, and so on.
- Use what you know! Cant fit any more mneumonics, acronyms, or songs into your brain? Use what you know best and try analogizing. Have a book or movie series you know by heart? A lot of rules and tests can be put into the context of your choice. Have a memorable law school moment or real life experience that applies? Then use that – whatever works best!
- Do not be afraid to ask for help! If there is a major subtopic you do not understand, reach out to someone, whether it be someone at a bar prep company or a study buddy or people online, whether it is one of us, a friend, a discussion or thread in a forum (top law schools appears to have fairly lively, and multiple, bar prep threads/discussions).
Note: These are 5 tips specific to the bar exam, but make sure that you are getting enough sleep, shoot for exercise of some sort for 30 minutes a day, eat healthy and get your essential vitamins and proteins!